Ninh Binh Tourism Overview & Festivals
With a special location on the traffic, terrain, cultural history and owning 2 areas inscribed on the World Heritage list and Biosphere Reserve list by UNESCO, Ninh Binh is a potential tourist center of Vietnam.
Ninh Binh, a province in the southernmost gateway of Vietnam Northern region, is located in the Red River Delta area, although it has only 2 coastal district namely Yen Khanh and Kim Son which have flat terrain. Construction planning of economic development ranks Ninh Binh into the North Central Coast. In the past, Ninh Binh was the ancient capital of Vietnam for the period of 968 - 1010 with 3 dynasties: Dinh, Early Le and Later Ly dynasty, and also an important military area during historical time.
A festival in Ninh Binh with colorful imagine.
The Festivals of the Year
According to statistics, Ninh Binh has 443 traditional festivals, including 2 provincial-level management festivals, 13 district-level festivals, and 428 communal-level festivals. The cultural festivals in Ninh Binh mainly take place in the spring, but few festivals commemorating the death of the celebrities
- Bai Dinh Pagoda Festival (Gia Vien): is held annually from the 6th of January to the end of March of the lunar calendar. The worshiping part includes the purification and commemoration of heroic martyrs such as Ly Quoc Su, Dinh Bo Linh, god Cao Son, Mother of Forest and worship of Buddhism. . The entertaining activities are exciting with many traditional games.
Bai Dinh temple festival
- Yen Ve Village Festival is held on 4th January of the lunar calendar in Yen Ve village, Khanh Yen commune, Yen Khanh, at the worship of Nguyen Minh Khong temple and Phuc Long pagoda.
- Ap Lang Temple Festival – Than Phu door festival is annually held on 6th January of lunar calendar in Yen Lam, Yen Mo commune.
- Lunar New Year pole taking down festival of the Muong people in Cuc Phuong commune, Nho Quan is held on 7th January of lunar calendar.
- Năn Temple - Quang Thuong Pagoda - Hau Mountain Temple Festival is annually held on 10th January of lunar calendar every year in Quang Thuong village, Yen Thang commune, Yen Mo to worship the Hung Kings’ generals.
- Non Khe Village Festival: is annually held on 13th/14th July of lunar calendar in Yen Tu commune, Yen Mo.
- Hang Tong Communal house – Xanh market Festival is annually held on 10th January of lunar calendar in Khanh Thien commune, Yen Khanh.
- Mong La Communal house Festival is annually held on 15th January of lunar calendar at Mong La Communal house and pagoda, Yen Quang commune, Nho Quan.
- Hoa Lu Cave Traditional Festival takes place at 4 sites: Dinh Trai; Hung Quoc Pagoda; Thung Lau cave; Thung La Temple, which is held from 10th to 13th of the first lunar month to respect the Emperor Dinh Tien Hoang, Queen Duong Van Nga, Master Nguyen Minh Khong.
- La Temple Festival is held from 13th to 15th January of lunar calendar in La Phu hamlet, Yen Thanh commune, Yen Mo to respect two Kings in Later Tran dynasty who are Emperor Gian Dinh and Emperor Quang Trung.
The traditional festival in Ninh Binh with dragon boat.
- Phuc Loc Communal house Festival is held from 9th to 11th February of lunar calendar in Phuc Loc carpentry village, Ninh Phong, Ninh Binh city.
- Xuan Vu Village Festival is held on 12th February of lunar calendar in Ninh Van commune, Hoa Lu district.
- Dau Pagoda Festival is held on 29th February of lunar calendar for 3 days in the Year of the Rat, Horse, Ram and Rooster in Khanh Hoa commune, Yen Khanh.
- Dich Long Pagoda Festival (Gia Vien) is held on 6th and 7th March of lunar calendar. The worshiping part is like other pagoda festivals. The festival part focuses on traditional games such as dragon dance, Chinese chess and Chinese writing.
- Hoa Lu ancient capital Festival Hoa Lu (Hoa Lu district) is usually held on 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th March of lunar calendar at Hoa Lu ancient capital Festival square.
- Saint Nguyen Temple Festival is held from 8th to 10th March of lunar calendar at Saint Nguyen Temple monument in Gia Thang and Gia Tien commune, Gia Vien district. The festival honors Master Ly Quoc Su Nguyen Minh Khong.
- Quang Phuc Temple Festival is held from 10th to 15th March of lunar calendar in Quang Phuc hamlet, Yen Phong commune, Yen Mo to respect the gods Cao Son, god Quy Minh.
- Thai Vi Temple Festival (Hoa Lu) is held from 14th to 16th of lunar calendar to commemorate the merits of the Tran Kings.
The festival of Thai Vi temple in Ninh Binh.
- Tran Temple (Trang An) and Quy Minh Dai Vuong Temple (Ninh Nhat - Ninh Binh City) Festival worshiping god Quy Minh, who guards the south gateway of Hoa Lu capital, is annually held on 18 th March of lunar calendar.
- Ky Phuc Festival (or Ha Thanh Village Festival) is held from 16th to 18th March of lunar calendar in Ha Thanh village, Yen Nhan commune, Yen Mo district.
- Dau Temple Festival is held from 20th Febraury to the end of March of lunar calendar in Nam Sonw ward, Tam Diep city.
- Yen Cu Festival is annually held on 10th August of lunar calendar in Khanh Cu commune, Yen Khanh district where worshipsTran Hung Dao and princesses.
- Stone Elephant and Stone Horse Temple Festival is held on 12th October of lunar calendar in Ninh Khanh ward, Ninh Binh city.
- Chau Son Temple Festival is held on 12th November of lunar calendar in Phu Son commune, Nho Quan district to commemorate Princess Son Tinh who came Ninh Binh to learn magic and help people.
- Nguyen Cong Tru Temple Festival (Kim Son) is held from 13th to 15th November of lunar calendar to commemorate the person who gather people and formed Kim Son district.
- Christmas of Phat Diem diocese center is annually held on 25th December at Phat Diem church which is the main cathedral of Phat Diem diocese in Ninh Binh province.